Monday, September 14, 2009

After an Unnecessarily Long Break...

1. Yeah...about that.

2. It's Monday, so it's the Starting Nine. But I felt it wasn't right to start without acknowledging my long absence. Between vacations, Band Camp, and the start of school, it's been busy. Hopefully, I can get this started again with some degree of regularity. So let's get to it.

3. As just stated, school is back, and with a vengeance. I can't remember starting off a year with more reading. I think all my classes are going to be pretty interesting - that is, the actual class time. The work is going to suck. Greek History will be the worst of the five, but that still won't be too bad. Although my Honors seminar won't come close to topping the mind-blowing experience I had last year, it was a nice change of pace to have a discussion today that I fully understood. And my 3 Comm classes will be really good - one is with a reporter for the AP, and the other 2 are really small and ask a lot of thought-provoking questions. We'll see what I think about them when I'm reading every night until 3 in the morning.

4. There was no collapse in Fantasy Baseball this year. Although my team decided to go on a half-summer losing streak and ended up seeded 5th for the playoffs, I've found myself in the championship matchup - not surprising, considering I was one of the two best teams in the league regardless of the final standings. But it was not without a good amount of stress this past week, when I took on the #1 seed. We tied 6-6, but I won on the ERA tiebreak - which I won by a tenth of a run. In the end, it came down to RBIs, which I entered Sunday leading by 2. We traded the lead a few times, but in the end I came out on top by 1. If we had tied that category, I wouldn't be writing in victory, but in the agony of defeat for the second year in a row - and ironically, it came down to RBIs for the second year in a row. The difference is, last year, I lost it on RBIs by 1 when I would've won the tiebreak.

5. Fantasy Golf, on the other hand - which I'm slightly ashamed to say that not only did I initially join, but have regularly checked - has been the site of an incredible comeback. Sitting over 170 points down 10 weeks ago, I've stormed back to a 12-point deficit with 1 week left. Poor kid who's leading.

6. Nice to see Brady back out on the field. Not so nice to see Maroney just get stuffed on a 4th and 1.

7. I like the Sox's chances to make the playoffs, even if Beckett is not his normal self. Buchholz has really picked it up. Honestly, I think Beckett's hiding some kind of injury - and, like most pitchers, is too stubborn and prideful to admit it.

8. Although it's encouraging that BC has beaten their first two opponents a combined 88-7, it's tough to get a real handle on how good this team really is when those two teams are Northeastern and Kent State. Which is why we aren't even close to being considered for the Top 25, despite the +81 scoring margin. However, we did come out of these first two games with one very important bit of knowledge, at least in my and some other band members' opinions - Justin Tuggle is the starting QB.

9. And finally, your Daily Show clip: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-3-2007/dark-liquid

No comments: