Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Editor's Note

If you've been playing close attention, you'll notice that two posts just disappeared into thin air. If you were none the wiser about that, well then, now you are.

Anyway, the two posts in question were Parts 1 and 2 of my new attempt at figuring out why fantasy baseball head-to-head standings are the way they are. I was in the middle of finishing off Part 3 when I discovered a rather glaring error - I had been unwittingly been using the wrong standard deviation formula.

This, unfortunately, threw off (not by much, but by enough) a large amount of the data I had been using. And since I don't like using incorrect data - whether I'm the only one that knows about it or not - I took all the articles down. I could have left the first one up, but I chose not to because A) it would be a complete albatross of a post, and B) most of what was said was already said in my initial go at it two years ago.

So it's with a bit of reluctance that I'm shelving the project. Again. Perhaps I'll come back to it later and post the actual, correct data with my insightful analysis - but for now, I've already spent too much time on the first try at it and I'd rather not get hung up re-doing it all. I've got other things to write about and do, so those will take precedence.

On a happier note, here are all the NESN opinions I've written in what amounts to the last month.

1) A case for the Pirates - the Pirates! - as a legit contender. You'll notice a certain suggestion at the end was actually thought to potentially be taken, although maybe not as specifically as I advised.
2) My attempt to tear down the myth of the "clutch hitter"
3) Taking Eli Manning's side - who knew? - in the Eli vs. Romo debate
4) Singing the praises of Pedro Ciriaco, the latest minor leaguer to have had an instant impact on the Sox at the time I wrote it. Side note - I was there for the game I mentioned against the Yankees. It was awesome. The "Pedro" chants brought me back.
5) Admonishing the Diamondbacks for being willing to trade Justin Upton
6) The Penn State/NCAA 1000-word opus I linked to in the previous post. If you haven't read it, you should. It likely won't be what you're expecting to read, but it's thought-provoking if nothing else.
7) Advising the Mariners to trade Felix Hernandez (ludicrous-sounding, I know)
8) Predicting that although the Patriots may have a great year, they likely won't go 16-0 (contrary to what the Facebook comments criticized me for, the genesis for this wasn't my idea, and I never hyped the Patriots as being capable of a perfect season - or at least, that wasn't the main gist of the opinion. My first introduction to people commenting on an article they hadn't actually read)
9) Analyzing Nolan Ryan's comments about Josh Hamilton's maddening free-swinging ways.
10) An explanation of A.J. Burnett's wildly different performances in and out of New York. Also known as the one where I make an extended Jekyll and Hyde reference.
11) A case for the Seahawks' 3-way QB battle as the best in the NFL. Never thought I'd write 1100 words about Seattle's football team for a New England sports website. But there you go.

No comments: