Monday, July 6, 2009

Should've Gone Bowling Instead

It's Monday, so like Fridays, that signifies a recurring post - and on Mondays, it's The Starting Nine. This is when I run down a list of 9 things, with no specific rhyme or reason to the topics. So here we go.

1. Went golfing today with my brother and grandparents, for the first time this year. Despite having previously only hit one bucket of balls at the range and chipped for about 15 minutes, I thought I did pretty well. The 55 over 9 holes is deceiving, because 7 of the 9 holes were played at one-over bogey golf. It would've been an exceptional first time out, had it not been for the 1st and 8th holes - where I golfed a pair of strikes. That's a nice way of saying that I shot 10's on both holes. Apparently I thought I was at a bowling alley instead of a golf course.

2. Finally finally FINALLY - the sun came out this weekend and it was excellent. Stayed out just long enough for me to jump in the ocean twice up in Maine, and then the thunder came. Oh well.

3. It's a little weird going up to our trailer in York Beach nowadays, because I'm four/five years older than anyone else under 20. Not exactly the age of people I'd prefer to spend time/play wiffleball/go to the beach with, but what can you do? We had our time with friends our own age years ago, and we knew it wouldn't last forever.

4. I kind of want to go see the second Transformers, but I'm a little hesitant to do it, for two reasons. 1) I have no steady income at the moment, so any money spent is money lost. And movies aren't cheap these days. 2) Bad reviews I can deal with - but only 19% on Rotten Tomatoes? (For anyone interested, it's got a CEVR of 40) There's a limit to how much of my brain I can turn off to enjoy a movie.

5. I've made the observation that I've spent way too much time on my computer this summer, usually not doing anything that important. However, this is most probably due to the incredible amount of rain we've had over what seems like the entire span of my break so far.

6. Congratulations to Federer for winning his record-breaking 15th Grand Slam, the guy deserves every accolade thrown his way. And also to Tiger, who has in all likelihood become the first tournnament host to interview himself as the winner.

7. On a sadder note, RIP Air McNair. God, what a shock that was. I had come in from the 4th of July barbecue in the trailer park and switched on the TV, just flipping to ESPN out of habit. But my eyes jumped to the headline "Steve McNair suffers fatal gunshot wound". I was so thrown for a loop by this that I forgot for a second that fatal equals dead. I specifically remember thinking, "Wait - fatal. But that means dead. Steve McNair can't be dead." He was a great guy and a great player, but weirdly enough, the lasting memory I'll have of him won't actually be of him - it'll be of Kevin Dyson reaching for the goal line after being wrapped up by Rams LB Mike Jones and coming up a yard short of immortality. I guess that's just representative of McNair.

8. I think the apparent signing of Rasheed Wallace by the Celtics is a good one. Marbury's behavior the later half of the year proved that like the Patriots, the Celts can deal with proven malcontents. Especially with the likely losses of James Posey and Big Baby Davis, the Celts will need to bolster their frontcourt. 'Sheed will certainly do that.

9. And finally, your Daily Show clip. It's an old one, but it's one of my favorites:
http://www.videosift.com/video/COOT-OFF-Sen-Ted-Stevens-vs-Sen-Robert-Byrd

No comments: