Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chase-ing a Respectable Season

I'm going to make this one short (I promise), because I really don't have that much to say, or a lot of free time. That's the thing about trying to get going on this blog...I say all the right things, I might put one or two posts up and trick everyone into thinking that I'm really serious about it this time - and then life intervenes in the form of endless homework and marching band commitments. Oy vey. But anyways, on to business.

I wanted to just quickly weigh in on the QB situation brewing up here on the Heights. With Shinskie definitively out as the starter, multiple sources are saying that Chase Rettig, a true freshman, will get the nod against Notre Dame in primetime this weekend. The team, however, has neither issued a definitive statement on the situation nor a depth chart for Saturday's game - leaving the door open for speculation.

From where I stand (or am sitting, as I currently am in O'Neill Library. Hooray for no Thursday classes and no homework!), I'm all for burning Rettig's redshirt and handing him the reins. I've said - and others agree with me - that Spaz holding on to Rettig's redshirt and letting Marscovetra (essentially Thing 2 to Shinskie's Thing 1 so far) and Shinskie fight over the starting job is tantamount for throwing in the towel on the season. Marsco has shown no signs of being much better than Shinskie, and Uncle Dave has had his chance. Short of converting Billy Flutie over to QB, the only choice Spaz has to stay competitive the rest of the year is putting in Rettig. We have a very favorable schedule the rest of the way (outside of away games vs. NC State and Florida State), and the division is winnable. The defense is solid (the LB's especially are beastly - my God Herzlich, what a comeback), Montel is dangerous as always, the WR's and TE's have come along nicely (hello Jonathan Coleman) - all we need is a competent QB, and a trip to Charlotte the first weekend in December is well within reason.

The potential issue I see, however, is that Spaz is always talking about the future, and having building blocks for eventual success. This makes me think there's a slight chance he holds onto the redshirt and saves Rettig for a potential 4 stud years instead of 3 stud years and 1 solid year. However, this is a debatable move, considering we're only 3 games into this season, and only 0-1 in conference play. It's not as if it's late October and we're out of the hunt. Quite the contrary. A bowl game is decidedly attainable, and Charlotte is not out of the question. If Marsco starts and Rettig continues to redshirt, say goodbye at least to Charlotte. If Rettig starts, though, both those things come a lot more within reach.

No comments: