Saturday, July 12, 2008

Before they become non-topical and/or over-written about

So I promised that I'd keep going with the draft in my next post. Well, it's taking a little longer than I thought to get it together, and there were a few things I felt like commenting about - so the draft will continue probably next time. Anyways -

I said I was going to write about the Jackson/Obama incident. Well, it wasn't long after I said that that I realized all I needed to write was this - Jesse Jackson is crazy. End of story.

Of course, the big news in the sporting world today (other than A-Rod's misadventures...I saw a hilarious shirt outside Fenway last night with #13 on the back and "Material Girl" as the name. Great stuff.) is the continuing saga of Brett Favre. The news was broken yesterday that it was a definite that Favre wanted back and was either going ask the Packers for reinstatement or an unconditional release. Now today comes the news that - FINALLY - the Packers have stated that they are committing to Aaron Rodgers as their starting QB, and should Brett come back with them, it won't be in that capacity. They declined to offer any concrete specifics as to what Favre would do should he come back. However - and this is the interesting part - they won't grant him his unconditional release. Which is a smart move by them, as they now control what other team would get him in a trade should he demand one. In my opinion, like I said before, Favre should just stay out of it and stay retired. It's bad enough that he's put the Packers, the fans, and poor Aaron Rodgers through all these rumors and speculations. It's even worse if he reverses that press conference. I can understand the desire to keep playing - I get it all the time since I've stopped playing baseball competitively - but there comes a point where you just have to stop. And for Brett Favre, that time has come - whether he deludes himself into re-thinking it hasn't or not.

Lastly, a personal gripe. I went to a game at Fenway last night (which they lost unfortunately, to the freaking Orioles 7-3), and sat way out in Section 5. For those of you not familiar with Fenway Park, Section 5 is out in right field, about even with the bullpens. Now, I can tolerate the small seats and occasional poles obstructing my view. What I can't take is having my seat face the flagpole in left-center. Obviously, there's nothing the Sox can do about re-aligning the seats, that's how the park was built. I'm just saying the seats suck.

No comments: