Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Something New

Alright, I don't have just one thing to talk about, so I'll go with a list. I like the number 9, so that'll work as the number of things on the list. This'll be a recurring thing, so I'll try to think up a snappy name at some point. Anyways...

1) Manny is not getting traded. From my point of view, the Sox just can't afford to trade away one of the greatest right-handed hitters of all time in the middle of the pennant race for a replacement and prospects. Sure, there's no way he's coming back after this year, because I really believe that he truly wants out this time. And we won't pay him the $20 million next year anyways. Does he act like a space cadet? Yes. Does he laze around sometimes? Yes. But he's Manny. He's still a great hitter, and I've always said he's an underrated left fielder. Trading him would be effectively conceding on paper to the Angels, especially now that they have Teixeira.

2) I count 3 Yankees trades so far. Two born out of injuries, and one completely random one. Wonder if Hank threatened to fire everyone if nothing was done.

3) Saw the Dark Knight last week. Yes, it lived up to the hype, and yes, Heath Ledger was really good. So good that I kept wishing he'd be on screen to liven it up. But all this hyperbole being showered on him? I wonder how much has been added on owing to the poor guy being dead. When you've got breathless critics fighting to one-up each other with praise, it gets ridiculous. The worst offender was someone who - and I swear I'm not making this up - suggested that Ledger could've been as good as Brando.

4) Speaking of movies, it never ceases to amaze me the kind of movies that studio execs will greenlight. I mean, seriously - Meet Dave? Isn't it more profitable NOT to make crap like that?

5) Hey, Sen. Obama, I hate to break it to you, but - you're still a senator. Not the President yet. So stop trying to stage things like you are.

6) Along the same lines, since when has the campaign devolved into who can get the best photo ops? I've got some advice for the candidates - focus on the issues. No one cares who gives the most impressive-LOOKING speech. Or who takes the pictures with the most babies. At least, I don't.

7) Still trying to get over the fact that an actual tornado ripped through NH last week. I mean, this wasn't some funnel cloud that touched down for 10 seconds. This was an F2 tornado with winds as high as 135 mph. The devastation was severe enough that it's still easily apparent nearly a week later. And yet, it's a sobering thought to think that this is nothing compared to what they get out in the Midwest.

8) I like Paul Pierce and all, and I think he's a great player and underappreciated league-wide. But for him to - allegedly; I don't trust the media as much about these things after the Papelbon fiasco at the All-Star game) - say that he's the best player in the world is going too far. He's not even the best player in his conference.

9) Finally, your Daily Show segment: http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=177451&title=press-favors-obama. The best part is the end with Wolf Blitzer. So true.

No comments: