Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Memo to Brett Favre: Do Yourself a Favor and Stay Retired

Remember that Brett Favre? Crying through his retirement speech, saying that physically he could go out and compete for another year, but mentally he was spent? Convincing everyone that he was truly done, because no one could give a speech that heartfelt, that sincere, and then turn around a few months later and come back?

Well, if the rumors are true, prepare to forget about that guy, because apparently Favre wants back in. Now, I like Brett Favre, I really do. Hated him after he beat the Pats in the Super Bowl, but I was too young to understand the guy. He's a classy guy, great football player, and a hard competitor. His throwing for 399 yards on MNF after his dad died still sends chills up my spine. His relationship with the fans of the Packers is truly something special in this era of free agency and ever-changing jerseys. But I just can't say I want to see him come back, and I'll tell you why.

First of all, the Packers allegedly and apparently have no interest in him coming back. They are showing commitment to Aaron Rodgers as their QB, and want no part of a comeback. If this is true, then it would be near football sacrilege for Favre to come back wearing anything other than the GB on his shoulder. I don't want to see it, and if I don't want to see it, than Packer fans DEFINITELY don't want to see it.

Secondly, the guy can't go out much better than he did last year. Okay, so he threw an interception on his last career throw that basically cost the Pack a trip to the Super Bowl. Big deal. Not everyone goes out like Ted Williams. He still had a career year - at 38 no less - and led his team to the NFC Championship. 100 bucks says he wouldn't come even close to that coming back. No one ever does. Look at Emmitt Smith, look at Michael Jordan. Their comebacks didn't work out as well as the rest of their careers. We want to remember our heroes as they were, not as shells of their former selves.

Lastly, there's not even a guarantee Favre wants back in. First he said the source saying he wanted to come back was nothing but rumors. Then his mom AND brother both say it's 50-50. And now Favre sends the Packers a mysterious text message. Well, that could be about anything. Could be saying "Good luck this year". Could be saying "I want to show Aaron a few things". I just hope it's saying "Guys, I really am done. Leave it at that."

1 comment:

Evan the Great said...

Hear hear! well put senor! since no one else really reads our blogs, I will continue to comment on yours! I agree completely.